Cream of Asparagus Soup with Frizzled Leeks
Time: 1 hour
I get so excited when Spring comes around because it is also asparagus season! Mainly, because I love making asparagus soups, which are super tasty, creamy soup. This classic, soup is French soul-food, and it is very easy to make. It is a great choice for entertaining guests, in asparagus season. This lovely, soothing, green soup is made without using heavy cream. So, it’s perfect for people looking for a light meal - it’s ideal for lunch or brunch.Soups are often thought of as a Winter thing, but this Spring soup is a one-of-a-kind - the king of all soups, according to me. So, for all the soup lovers & asparagus lovers, who haven’t yet tried it, you must give it a try. You won’t be disappointed, I promise! Here’s my go-to recipe for this beautiful, soothing asparagus soup:
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 4 tsp cannabutter
- 1¼ lb. rinsed asparagus with tough stems removed and cut into pieces (1-inch)
- 1 chopped garlic clove
- 1½ cups thinly slicked leeks
- ½ cup half-and-half
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 tbsp lemon zest (freshly grated)
- white pepper and salt as per your preference
- Combine asparagus & stock in a medium pot. Boil covered, over medium-low heat, until asparagus becomes tender - about 20 min. Then, reduce heat to low.
- Place a medium skillet over medium-low heat, and melt canna-butter. Add 1 cup of leeks & garlic, and cook until leeks become tender - about 7 - 9 min.
- Combine leek mixture with asparagus mixture. Add half-and-half. Cook over low heat for about 5 min. Tip: Do not wash skillet after.
- Remove pot from heat, and allow soup to cool slightly.
- Place skillet on medium heat, and add canola oil. When oil is warmed through, add remaining leeks - ½ cup - and cook until golden brown & crispy - about 2 - 3 min.
- Remove leeks, using a slotted spoon, to a clean, dry paper towel or dish towel, to drain.
- Puree soup in a food processor or blender. Note: An immersion blender can be used, directly in the pot.
- Pour blended soup back into pot, and warm it over medium-low heat.
- Garnish soup with frizzled leeks & lemon zest. Sprinkle with salt & pepper, before you serve it.